Personal tools
You are here: Home Free Tax Preparation Sites in Michigan

Free Tax Preparation Sites in Michigan

Don't pay to get your taxes done! Use a free VITA site near you and keep ALL of your earned income credit refund!


Michigan has a variety of free tax preparation services available to assist you with your taxes. Here is a list of free tax preparation sites in your county.  You can also call 2-1-1 (1-800-552-1183 if 2-1-1 is unavailable in your area) for help locating the free tax site nearest you.

If you'd like to prepare your taxes yourself you can use the IRS' Free File program.  If your Adjusted Gross Income is less than $57,000, you can access FREE web-based software that will help you do your federal taxes for FREE. You may be able to also do your state taxes. Taxes are easy to do with Free File and you don't need to be a computer expert. Answer a few questions and your tax returns will be prepared, and you will get help e-filing.  To learn more or to get started started with IRS Free File, click the link below. You can get information at any time, but you cannot prepare your taxes until after January 30th.   Access IRS Free File Now!


What to Bring to a Free Tax Site



Driver’s License or State ID


Proof of Social Security numbers or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) for self
 and spouse and dependents, if applicable


Income Statements or Forms:


(Most year-end income statements for 2012 will be mailed in January 2013.  Depending on your situation, bring all that apply to you.)


•         Wages (W-2 Forms from all jobs worked in 2012)

•         Unemployment (Form 1099-G)

•         Pension (Form 1099-R)

•         Social Security (Form SSA-1099)

•         Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Letter from SSA

•         Interest/Dividends (Form 1099-INT or 1099-DIV)

•         DHS Assistance (DHS Annual Statement)

•         Child Support (Child Support Annual Statement)

•         Gambling/Lottery Winnings (Form W-2G)

•         Miscellaneous Income (Form 1099-MISC)

•         A copy of 2011 tax return, if available

•         Any other income documentation you may have


Proof of Any Other Expenses


•         Purchase of new home or automobile

•         Energy efficient home appliances and improvements (receipts should show Energy Star Rating) for insulation, windows, furnace, air conditioning system, water heater, refrigerator, clothes washer, dishwasher

•         Residential electric bills

•         Medical or HMO premiums paid for self and/or family

•         Dependent care expenses

•         Student loan interest or tuition and course materials


For the Property Tax Credit:



Bring proof of the taxable value of your home, plus your summer and winter property tax bills for 2012.


Bring your lease or rental contract, rent receipts for 2012, and your landlord’s name and address.


For the Home Heating Credit:

Bring the amount you spent on heating your home for the year. Renters may also qualify for this credit. This information can be found in your December, January and February statements. For 2012 taxes, the period will be 11/1/2011 to 10/31/2012.

To Use the Direct Deposit Option:

Direct deposit is the fastest and safest way to receive your refunds. To have your state and federal returns directly deposited into your bank account (or credit union account), bring your bank’s name, routing number, and your account number.

(Thank you to the Accounting Aid Society for providing this list of what to bring. A copy of the original flier can be downloaded here.)


Document Actions